I feel so incredibly lucky because I have a job that I absolutely love. I honestly feel like I was made to be a teacher. I remember being in third grade and dressing up like a teacher for Halloween. Now, here I am teaching third graders. During a stressful week with ISTEP and then IREAD hanging over our heads, now is the time to really reflect and remember why I love my job so much. So, here's my list:
1. Greeting my students every morning with a smile and a handshake
2. Watching the students read the welcome board and comment to each other. "Ohhhh, we are going to fractions today! I wonder what we will be doing!!"
3. Listening to the students help each other, "Let's see, nope, we need to double the consonant when we're adding -ing because it's a vowel consonant."
4. Listening to the students encourage each other, "Good job, J! You knew that was the denominator!"
5. Asking a question and looking out at all of the students participating
6. Knowing the activities the class is doing is helping them reach the goals set for them.
7. Knowing that the relationships that I have with my students will be something I remember for a long, long time.
The list can go on and on...